Document Title: Hobart Phoenix Basketball Club Code of Conduct – Players
Created by: details pending
Date of First Issue: details pending
Date of Last Review: details pending
Date of Next Review: details pending
This document is to be used to clearly establish the expected levels of behaviour of all players participating in any Basketball Tasmania affiliated team and/or event.
Basketball Tasmania’s Codes of Conduct are reinforced by the following core beliefs and values.
– To act within the rules and spirit of our sport.
– To display respect and courtesy towards everyone involved in our sport and prevent discrimination and harassment.
– To prioritise the safety and well-being of all individuals involved in our sport.
– To encourage and support opportunities for participation in all aspects of our sport.
- To be a leading, professional and accountable sport, recognised for our state-led and delivered community programs.
- To be a gender equal, all abilities, engaging sport with defined pathways for all.
- To develop competitive, high-quality state and national level players, coaches and officials.
- Basketball is the sport of choice for Tasmanians.
Basketball Tasmania recognises our people as our greatest asset and commits to a culture of:
Unity | Integrity | Inclusion | Innovation
Unity: We work together with a shared purpose and vision.
Integrity: We’re respectful and professional in our conduct.
Inclusive: Sport for everyone, we’re stronger for our diversity.
Innovation: We’re improving, learning and driving change.
- I will abide by the rules of competition.
This includes rules enforced by both Basketball Tasmania, Basketball Australia and the relevant venue and/or competition.
- I will abide by the referee’s decision.
If I disagree, the Team Captain is permitted to discuss the matter with officials on my behalf during either a suitable break in play, or at the conclusion of the game.
- I understand that Basketball Tasmania and Basketball Australia share a zero-tolerance approach towards abuse.
Abuse of any kind towards any individual is not permitted, and the offending individual may be prohibited from any further participation in Basketball Tasmania events.
- I understand that I am a representative of Basketball Tasmania.
I subsequently agree to ensure that my conduct is consistent with the principles of good and acceptable behaviour and in accordance with Basketball Tasmania’s Player Code of Conduct
- I agree to play in the spirit of the game.
This includes an emphasis on teamwork, effort and good sportsmanship.
- I will support and co-operate with the entire team at all times.
This includes, but is not limited to coaches, managers, referees, Basketball Tasmania staff and team members.
- I will not engage in any practices which are harmful or detrimental to my performance.
This includes, but is not limited to the consumption of drugs, alcohol, tobacco and/or other illegal substances directly before and/or during my game.
- I agree to respect the beliefs, values and rights of all participants.
I acknowledge that this applies to all individuals regardless of their gender, ethnicity, ability, cultural background or religion.
- While participating in Basketball Tasmania affiliated teams and/or events, I accept that I will be under the direction of appointed team staff including, but not limited to coaches, managers and Basketball Tasmania staff.
I will endeavour to comply with their directions and understand that common sense and respect for others is required at all times.
- I will not be involved in any wilful and/or negligent damage, nor removal of any property which does not belong to me.
I understand that I may be personally liable and financially responsible for any damage and/or theft that may occur.
Basketball Tasmania Representative State Teams
- I acknowledge that I am responsible for my conduct and that I may be sent home as a result of any negative behaviour.
I understand that I will be personally responsible for any additional costs that should arise.
- I agree to conduct myself in an appropriate fashion.
I will endeavour to behave in a manner which promotes my best performance.
- I will disclose to team officials any injury and/or illness.
This includes, but is not limited to any condition that may jeopardise my performance.
- Athletes participating in Basketball Tasmania’s State Development Program (SDP) are strongly encouraged to monitor their workload after a State Camp, SDP Camp and/or Tri Series Event.
Where necessary, I will seek advice from Basketball Tasmania’s Basketball Development Officer. Player welfare and adequate recovery must be practised with the highest level of proficiency, care and consistency from the outset and throughout.