Document Title: Hobart Phoenix Basketball Club Code of Conduct – Spectators
Created by: details pending
Date of First Issue: details pending
Date of Last Review: details pending
Date of Next Review: details pending
This document is to be used to clearly establish the expected levels of behaviour of all spectators attending any Basketball Tasmania affiliated event as per condition of entry.
Basketball Tasmania’s Codes of Conduct are reinforced by the following core beliefs and values.
– To act within the rules and spirit of our sport.
– To display respect and courtesy towards everyone involved in our sport and prevent discrimination and harassment.
– To prioritise the safety and well-being of all individuals involved in our sport.
– To encourage and support opportunities for participation in all aspects of our sport.
- To be a leading, professional and accountable sport, recognised for our state-led and delivered community programs.
- To be a gender equal, all abilities, engaging sport with defined pathways for all.
- To develop competitive, high-quality state and national level players, coaches and officials.
- Basketball is the sport of choice for Tasmanians.
Basketball Tasmania recognises our people as our greatest asset and commits to a culture of:
Unity | Integrity | Inclusion | Innovation
Unity: We work together with a shared purpose and vision.
Integrity: We’re respectful and professional in our conduct.
Inclusive: Sport for everyone, we’re stronger for our diversity.
Innovation: We’re improving, learning and driving change.
- I will promote and encourage enjoyment for the sport.
Spectators are expected to show support for all players participating in a game and are also encouraged to help the players themselves to enjoy the game. Spectators are expected to applaud good performances and congratulate all players regardless of the outcome.
- I will accept all decisions of the referees as being fair, impartial and called to the best of their ability.
Referees are responsible for enforcing the rules of the game and are subsequently entitled to make mistakes. Spectators are expected to accept calls made by referees with grace and understanding. The abuse of referees is forbidden. Spectators who consistently dispute decisions, refuse to accept calls and who engage in negative behaviour towards referees may be prohibited from attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events.
- I will be positive in my support for players, coaches and referees.
Spectators are expected to refrain from ridiculing, shouting at and/or engaging in negative behaviour towards players, coaches and/or referees. Spectators are forbidden from entering the confines of the basketball court without permission whilst the game is being played. Spectators who consistently mock, yell or exhibit undesirable behaviour towards players, coaches and/or referees may be prohibited from attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events.
- I will refrain from violence in any form and acknowledge that such behaviour is prohibited.
Spectators are not to engage in violent behaviour, nor encourage players themselves to engage in violent behaviour. Spectators who engage and/or encourage violent behaviour may be prohibited from attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events and may be prosecuted under Basketball Australia’s Member Protection Policy.
- I will show respect for all individuals attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events.
Spectators are to show respect for all players and officials, including opponents, referees and other spectators. Whilst light-hearted banter and conversation is acceptable, undesirable and/or inappropriate behaviour is prohibited.
- I will encourage players to obey the rules and to accept decisions of the referees.
Whilst spectators are encouraged to display enthusiasm and passion for the game, spectators are discouraged from inciting players to disobey rules and dispute referee decisions.
- I will display appropriate social behaviour at all times and will ensure that my conduct is consistent with the principles of good sportsmanship.
Spectators are prohibited from demonstrating anti-social behaviour such as abusive language, obscene gestures and/or audible obscenities. Behaviour of this nature contravenes Basketball Tasmania’s values and beliefs and is discouraged.
- I will demonstrate equal treatment and respect to all individuals attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events.
Spectators are encouraged to respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background, religion or any other socio-economical/cultural factor. Any individual who exhibits behaviour that would be reasonably considered to be offensive and/or discriminatory may be prohibited from attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events and may be prosecuted under Basketball Australia’s Member Protection Policy.
- I will ensure that children under my care will be kept under supervision at all times.
All spectators who have assumed responsibility for children, albeit as parent/guardians and/or caregivers, must ensure that the relevant children exhibit appropriate levels of behaviour. Children are prohibited from displaying anti-social behaviour, making obscene gestures, using obscenities or entering the court space whilst games and/or warm-ups are being performed.
- I will respect the use of facilities, equipment and resources provided.
The abuse of facilities, equipment or resources is explicitly prohibited. Spectators who are deemed to have damaged property due to negligence or destructive behaviour may be prohibited from attending Basketball Tasmania affiliated events and may incur the costs of relevant repair.